“My neighborhood organization would like to host a single annual event on our commercial corridor and invite local vendors to sell goods on the street.”

︎︎︎ SAPO “Street Festival Permit
A Street Festival Permit allows nonprofit organizations to close one or more blocks (for a day or more) to offer community sponsored events that also feature opportunities to purchase goods and services from licensed vendors. There is currently a moratorium on new street fairs in place, meaning a street fair must have been held in calendar year 2019 (the last full year prior to pandemic) to be eligible to apply.

︎︎︎ DCWP “Temporary Street Fair Vendor Permit
Each vendor at an authorized street festival is required to get a Temporary Street Fair Vendor Permit to sell merchandise or offer a service from a booth or stand (not including food products).

︎︎︎ DOHMH “Food Vending License and Food Vending permit
A Mobile Food Vending License is issued (for a full term of two years, or for a seasonal term between April 1 and October 31 of a calendar year) to an individual who will prepare and/or serve food from a permitted mobile food vending unit (truck or pushcart). A Mobile Food Vending Permit may then be issued (for a full term of two years, or for a seasonal term between April 1 and October 31 of a calendar year) to an individual or business wishing to prepare and/or sell food from a pushcart or truck. The permit is issued for the food vending unit (truck or pushcart) that will be operated. However, there are waiting lists to apply for the Mobile Unit Permit.

︎︎︎ NYFD “Generator Permit
A permit from NYFD is required for any use of portable generators with fuel storage tank capacity exceeding two and half gallons of gasoline and/or ten gallons of diesel. A licensed electrician should be consulted to evaluate power needs and determine the type of generator you will require.

︎︎︎ NYPD “Sound Device Permit A permit from your local NYPD precinct is required to use amplified sounds (and/or sound devices) at any street event.

A street festival in Manhattan.

︎ Taylor Heery

“A few of the restaurants on my block would like to use the street to expand dining outside our businesses on our busiest days. We’d also love to have the neighborhood organization put on outdoor performances when the streets are closed to traffic to create a lively ambiance.”
In addition to the permits mentioned in the preceding example, groups will need to apply:

︎︎︎ DOT “Open Streets (Full Closure) permit
The Open Streets Permit, launched during the COVID-19 pandemic and slated for permanent adoption, allows nonprofit organizations, educational institutions, and local businesses to use streets for outdoor dining, programming, and outdoor learning/recreation for schools. There are three types of Open Streets permits:

︎︎︎ Limited Local Access (a street designated for pedestrian and cyclist use, during a specified set of hours and days each week, where local vehicle access for parking and loading is permitted, and drivers are advised to drive five miles per hour)

︎︎︎ Full Closure (a street that is temporarily closed to vehicles for pedestrian and cyclist use, small business use, and other activities)

︎︎︎ Full Closure: Schools (a street that is temporarily closed to vehicles to support schools for drop-off and pick-up operations, recess, and outdoor learning)

Photo of outdoor dining on a commercial street’s roadbed, with planters serving as a barrier around the space.

 ︎ Emily Andrews and Kamila Harris